Chicago, Illinois (A Birthday Trip)

Updated: Aug 31, 2019

How a trip when from relaxation, to absolute panic, in two days.

KyannaSimone (left) friend Alesia (right) at Tilt 360 Chicago.

I turned 29 this year and I decided that it was time to start traveling and exploring this vast world, I knew it wasn’t ready to travel out of the country just yet, but I needed to go somewhere, so I decided that Chicago would be my first stop on my traveling journey.

Alesia and I touched down in the windy city and we napped, followed by first visiting Tilt 360 Chicago. The experience was unlike no other and the instructions were simple, ‘stand on the mat, place your hands on the bars and look down.” Knowing what to expect, I had no worries but to go in, and enjoy the ride.

We’re done, head back to the hotel, shower and get ready for what I consider the best part of the night and arguably the entire trip, “Hamilton, An American Musical.” I personally have been itching to see this musical for three years and I was moments away from watching Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr and Angelica Schuyler sing and rap their little hearts out to me.

CBIC Theater in Chicago, IL

Alesia and I after the show.

I’m content, satisfied because the show is over. Feeling a little hungry, we stop at a pizza restaurant, because we had to try Chicago’s “deep dish pizza.” I ended up getting a cheese and tomato pizza (I’m newly vegetarian,”) and I have to say, it wasn’t taste I was expecting. Not bad, just different, but something I would absolutely try again, and probably from a different restaurant as well.

It’s the next morning and it’s my birthday, We head off to this brunch place that wasn’t too far from the hotel that we were staying. (of course I didn’t get any photos,) After brunch, we walked the streets of downtown Chicago until we found “The Bean,” one of Chicago’s famous structures and probably one of the most instagrammable places.

The Bean in Chicago, IL

Later that evening, it was time for the exciting portion of this trip. I went SKYDIVING, alright, indoor skydiving with iFLY. It was an enclosed wind chamber, that would be used to keep my body afloat, while my instructor controlled my body so it wouldn’t flop around inside.

Standing in front of the "wind chamber"

As the wind blew on my body, holding me up, saliva comes out of my mouth and on to the walls of the enclosed machine, my mouth becomes dryer with each passing second and it gets harder and harder to breathe, but I’m still having the time of my life. I go for another around before leaving iFLY and heading back to the hotel to start getting ready for the night.

Here’s where things take a turn, I head back to the room and wake Alesia up (she was sick and that’s why she didn’t go iFLYing with me,) and were inching our way to get showered and dressed for the night, but she gets an email, the email that would cut out trip short by a day, stating that a winter storm is coming and if we didn’t leave Friday morning, we would have been snowed in until Tuesday and if we wanted to change our flights to leave earlier we can do so, free of charge.

The other catch? We had to wait an hour and a half to speak to someone, so this killed out chances of going out because we had to wait around for a phone call. And by the time we got out respective calls, it was minutes to one in the morning.

We called it quits, packed our luggages, went to bed, woke up, headed for the airport and landed back in D.C. all by 2pm, snowstorm free.

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All